Earlier today, the Emirates Cricket Board confirmed that the BCCI had indeed sent a letter of intent to host the 13th edition of the IPL.
Emirates Cricket Board secretary Mubashshir Usmani said, “We have received the (official) letter and now wait on the decision from the Indian government which will ink the final deal.”
Upon receiving this official communication, the ECB has consequently mobilised personnel and initiated discussions with the relevant authorities “including their respective internal working committees” to kick off the preparations and more importantly, ensuring a safe and protected environment as necessitated by the COVID-19 pandemic. Usmani said, “There are many factors which influence the operations and logistics of hosting what is the world’s most exciting, popular and lucrative tournament. This is a massive movement of people and equipment and we now need to bring in the experts to discuss all aspects of UAE hosting the IPL. This includes the Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Sharjah Sports Councils, Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Sharjah Tourism Bodies and the respective Government entities, such as the Police Forces and the UAE Ministry of Health and Prevention, all who have had strong, proven experience in such activities and we will work together to ascertain the best practices to support and deliver on a successful edition.”
IPL Governing Council chairman Brijesh Patel had confirmed the window of the 2020 edition to Cricbuzz last week on Friday, after it was reported that the tournament has officially been proposed to move to UAE after the postponement of the ICC T20 World Cup.
Usmani expressed confidence that the ECB is well positioned with its experience to deliver once again. He said, “We have a sound, solid understanding of what is required, and to whom we need to consult and engage with from this early stage through to close of the Tournament. UAE boasts some of the best practice facilities and stadia in the world across three-Emirates (Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Sharjah) which we are confident will be more than adequate to support the eight-team tournament.”
ECB’s confidence has been further enhanced with the way the country have kept the COVID-19 pandemic under control, with increasing recoveries and a steady decline in the number of new cases. Usmani said the board remains committed to complying with any and every safety measures required for a smooth conduct.
The Emirates Cricket Board said that they are now waiting for the BCCI to lay out their requirements for the tournament, in addition to a word on the government clearances.